Easy Weight Loss?
Almost everyone would like to drop a few pounds, stay fit, and look good. This natural desire is exactly what online marketers target when they falsely advertise products promising to help you lose weight.
Products that purport to help drop those extra pounds now come in an array of different styles. There are pills and capsules, specific food diets, herbal products, dietary supplements – all promising to burn fat and flush it out of your system. The major selling points are that they promise immediate, effortless, and even guaranteed weight loss.
Thousands of unassuming consumers are deceived into purchasing products and fall prey to the following pitches by scammers.
1. Use of words such as “ new breakthrough technology,” “secret formula,” “exclusive,” and “clinically proven” in advertisements
2. Fast, easy, guaranteed results
3. Vague Testimonials by “satisfied” consumers that are not verifiable
4. Use of exotic ingredients (i.e. Acai Berry, African Mango) in products purporting to possess a distinct fat burning ingredient
5. Free samples and offers before the actual purchase of the weight loss product
Weight loss sellers employ similar notorious tactics as other kinds of scammers. First, they will use the abovementioned common pitches to get you hooked. Most often than not, there will be a “free trial” so you can test out the weight loss product. What is conveniently undisclosed, however, is that when you agree to a free trial – thinking that you have nothing to lose – you are most likely automatically enrolled in a negative option where you will be charged for and sent unsolicited products. The cancellation process is deliberately made difficult, with customer service being unresponsive, non-existent, or complicated to reach.
How Can You Protect Yourself?
The Federal Trade Commission has designated seven “Red Flags” that you should look for in advertisements. If you find one advertising a weight loss product, it is a safe bet that it is a scam.
1. “Lose weight without diet or exercise!”
2. “Lose weight no matter how much you eat of your favorite foods!”
3. “Lose weight permanently! Never diet again!”
4. “Block the absorption of fat, carbs, or calories!”
5. “Lose 30 pounds in 30 days!”
6. “Everybody will lose weight!”
7. “Lose weight with our miracle patch or cream!”
Take our advice, and lose weight the healthy way, for you body and for your wallet.
If you have a complaint about online weight loss offers, post your complaint to Scambook.com to share your experience get help recovering your money.